Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Honorable Mentions of 2005

Each year I consider the 3 albums just outside of my top 10 as honorable mentions. This year those 3 albums are all albums that would normally be in my top 10, but this year they couldn’t quite crack it. So here they are:

Queens of the Stone AgeLullabies to Paralyze
With the nasty departure of bass player and co-founder Nick Oliveri, I think most expected a pretty big letdown on QOTSA’s fourth full-length release. I was very impressed at how good this album was despite the changes the band went through. It’s hard to follow up Songs for the Deaf (my #2 album in 2002), but Lullabies has some awesome stuff on it and Queens of the Stone Age is still one of the best Rock bands in the world.

Bright EyesDigital Ash in a Digital Urn
This is the experimental album of Conor Oberst’s two releases this year. Much like Ben Gibbard did with The Postal Service and Pedro the Lion’ s David Bazan did this year with Headphones, Digital Ash is Bright Eyes trying to be electronic. Some of the songs on this album are really good, and it was one of the most enjoyable albums for me to listen to all year, but its just not Conor Oberst at his best. (We will see what he does best, later on the list!)

M. WardTransistor Radio
I honestly don’t know much about M. Ward but I bought this album because of someone’s recommendation. Before Christmas break this album was not even close to my top 10, but after giving it another listen or two, I completely changed my thoughts and was really impressed. M. Ward is kind of low-fi folk music, but it is so well done in every way. This is a really neat album.

OK, check back tomorrow when the top 10 countdown begins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home