Tuesday, September 06, 2005

2131 anniversary

I remember sitting in my den as a young Orioles fan watching my favorite player break what was thought to have been an unbreakable record. Its hard to believe that 10 years ago today Cal Ripken Jr played in his 2131 consecutive game breaking Lou Gehrig's record. I was actually lucky enough to have been in Baltimore just 3 weeks before he broke the record to see him play in his 2110 consecutive game. Watching the banner on the warehouse fall to signify another game played is still one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. In 1995, baseball was struggling to regain its fanbase after the players strike in '94. Cal Jr put the entire league on his back and brought fans back to the game. His streak was Major League Baseball's saving grace. Now the Orioles have another iron man shortstop in Miguel Tejada. In just 7 games Miggy will reach 900 consecutive games played mark. (the longest current streak) I would like to see Tejada sit a game out just to put an end to it, because having to play every day can hurt a players late season performance and hurt the team as a whole. But, who knows, in 10 more years we could be talking about Miggy as the new all time Iron Man...I wouldn't count on it though, Cal was something special.

Also today is my brothers 27th birthday. Man that sounds old. Happy B-Day Sean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home