#4 Album of 2006
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain[Interscope; released 9/12/06]
This is the 2nd release and major label debut for one of the most unique bands out there. I must point out that the original 11-track release is what I am considering here and not the later release that included the bonus tracks. Return to Cookie Mountain is probably the most critically acclaimed album of the year (just check Metacritic’s 2006 review page to see all the top 10 list this album made) and it is easy to see why critics eat this album up. The vocals of Tunde Adebimpe are haunting and unique. The music is odd but addicting and gets stuck in my head yet I get something new out of every listen. “I Was a Lover” kicks the album off with what has been described as the bellow of an elephant and it sets the emotional tone for the entire song. The endlessly catchy “Wolf Like Me” is without a doubt the climax though and is my song of the year. The rest of the songs create an atmosphere that is truly a unique experience. Characterizing this music is not easy as the music involves a wide array of instrumentation along with experimentation and numerous electronic elements, most notably all the drum loops. Whatever Return to Cookie Mountain is considered, TV on the Radio has created an immense, powerful, and epic album that is very refreshing to see from a major label release.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home