Thursday, August 04, 2005

Mazzilli Fired


I just heard the news that the Orioles fired manager Lee Mazzilli. As many of my friends that I talk about baseball with know, I was not a huge fan of Mazz and hoped he wouldn't be back next year. So with the news of his firing today I expected to be a little happier. However, this has been one of the most choatic season for the Orioles and this just adds to the chaos. The season started great, with the Orioles spending 62 straight days in first place and having 4 players sent to the all-star game including 2 starters. But, the team became decimated by injuries many of which were freak injuries. The team wasn't able to do anything in the trade market and spiraled out of control becoming the laughing stock of the league at the trade deadline. Then Palmeiro got busted for steroids and it was as if the organization was getting kicked while it was down. The Orioles are 9-28 since being a season high 14 games over .500 and have lost 8 games in a row and 14 of the last 15. The firing of Mazzilli puts a cap on what has been a very intersting but ulitmately dissapointing season for Os fans. Hopefully things will calm down for the rest of the season, but in the offseason I expect huge changes for the entire organization including new ownership...I can only hope

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home